With the New Year finally upon us, the big 2K17, now is the time when most people will be considering new resolutions. Always looking for a way to improve. Whether they be losing weight, getting back in touch with someone, improving yourself through little tests and trials.
But, let’s face it, most of the resolutions people make, will not be accomplished. It is sad to say, but certainly doesn’t negate the facts.
So I offer a brand new type of resolution. One that has nothing to do with losing weight, spending less/saving more, getting organized, or enjoying life to the fullest. Which were the top four of 2015.
Everything in our society has become so superficial. Since cellphones became so important, that they have consumed most of the population; it is hard to think of anything to improve beyond ourselves.
The millennials make this even more obvious. Documenting every single second of their lives, for likes, comments, and shares. But what are they really gaining from this? Honestly, lower self-esteem, lower confidence, and lower social skills. And all three of these impact more parts of their lives than they care to realize or acknowledge.
So this year, why don’t we take a new path? Why not try something brand new, a resolution or set of goals that are completely different than what we have been making every single year for the past XX amount of years.
A New, New Resolution
You may be wondering, what the heck is this crazy lady talking about? The whole point of a resolution is to improve OURSELVES, to be better at something that WE deem worthy of our time.
But maybe it doesn’t and shouldn’t be. With how selfish society has become with the mask of acceptance and tolerance, it should become more about what we can do that impacts more than just ourselves.
The type of New Year’s Resolution the world needs these days is for people to be more kind in all of their ways.
- Find your local homeless shelter, and donate some canned food. For a hefty bag of food it shouldn’t cost more than $10-20 bucks. And that food will go a long way.
- Donate a bag of food to the county human society. I, personally, have always felt that there is nothing that reflects better on a person than how they help those that cannot help themselves. Because at this point, you are doing something with no interest in receiving anything in return, and that is TRUE kindness.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen for a few hours.
- Donate children’s books to a local orphanage.
- Volunteer at the Children’s hospital.
- Pay it forward. Do a kindness every single day, even if it is small. Write it down, and keep it in a jar, so next year you can read about all of the little things you did for people over the past year. And realize how much that little thing could impact more than just yourself.
- Witness to people, pray over strangers, and let them know how Christ can help them with their daily struggles, and major hardships. This is the best gift anyone can give, it takes only a little bit of time, but it can drastically change a person’s life, and I can personally attest to that.
- Be a little nicer, a little more patient, a little more understanding, but most of all, be a little more kind.
Those are just a few, but you get the point.
Everyone these days has become so greedy and cruel that when we do something for another person our first thought is: ‘Well, if I do that for them, what will I get in return?’
No one does anything these days without a clear purpose, goal, or return on their ‘investment of time’. And if you ask me, that is just sad.
We should be kind to each other, just because it’s the right thing to do. Being kind isn’t a show of weakness or a lesser internal strength. Quite the opposite, showing kindness, without expecting anything in return is the ultimate show of character and compassion. Something this world needs.
Helping a person (or animal) that is worse off should make you feel stronger, knowing that you were able to help a person with a couple dollars, or a little bit of food. It should make you feel like a better person knowing that you helping someone that 1000’s of other people simply walked by without even glancing their way.
It is a true show of character, doing something for someone, knowing they can never ‘return the favor’ because at that point, you know that you are doing it for simply their sake, not yours.
The world needs a little more compassion, and a lot more kindness.