Today I was involved in a heated debate with someone regarding raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour. The person who wanted this said “The big corporations are greedy they could pay people that and barely touch their profit” I am simply shocked that here in the United States we are so easily slipping into what amounts to communism.
The purpose of your job is NOT so that you can derive income. The purpose of your job is to make money for who ever you are working for. Since we have rushed headlong into a society filled with entitlement mentality we forget this. The reason you are employed is because the employer had a need so that the people at the top and the investors who took risks can make a profit. That in a nutshell is how capitalism works. Remember poor people do not create jobs wealthy people do.
When I was a freshman in college my first professor David Freund on the very first day said something that would stick with me the rest of my life: “No one here is going to ‘give’ you an education you are going to have to steal it” The professor taught more in that one sentence than I would learn the rest of the year. That is that if you want something you are going to have to work for it and work HARD!
So you want to earn $15 an hour or $20 or $50? Let me give you the recipe for success.
- Work all day and study all night or vice versa. Education is the key to success. Now I know that this means you will have to do with out surfing Facebook and watching TV and probably any kind of social life but that is how it is done. Go out and get those skills however you have to. Be it college or working for free as an apprentice for a skilled laborer. Yes I said it offer to work for free so that you can get the job skills you need. That is how things were done in days gone by.
- Work harder at your current job than anyone else in the place. Come in early and stay late. Remember your purpose there is to make the owner money so make him LOTS of money. In all things be excellent. If you mope around that minimum wage job like an unmotivated sot you will stay right where you are.
- Take advantage of every opportunity. Extra work YOU BET! If you don’t take those opportunities then don’t be surprised when fewer come your way.
- Be a risk taker. The reason the company that you work for is there is because someplace along the line someone took a risk. They started a company in a garage, they put in 20 hour days, they invested money in something and were willing to loose it. If you look at the most successful people in America many of them have gone bankrupt more than once. But they kept taking risks and kept working hard till it paid off.
- If you are young especially put off marriage and having kids as well as hobbies and leisure activities. I know this one sounds harsh but remember you wanted to be a success right? That means putting off the fun stuff and rolling up your sleeves now.
At the end of the day what I am telling you is to quit whining and get working. I started my life out washing dishes in a restaurant and when I decided I just could not do that any longer I made up my mind to be a cook. It meant doing stuff that was “not my job” It meant showing the boss that I had the determination to be more than what I was. Eventually I became a cook (and I got a .10 cent raise too!) and then a chef and then an executive chef and then an assistant manager and later a manager. Each step I worked myself to death to get to the next rung on the ladder. Today I work on computers and preach in a church and no one has “given me an education” If I can do it so can you.
America is STILL the land of opportunity but sadly too many want to make it into the land of whining and complaining and gimme gimme GIMME! Well let me leave you with one last thought from the bible:
2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
Remember Minimum wage = Minimum effort = Minimum results